PSESD is committed to a workforce that represents the diverse community we serve. We believe every child deserves at least one Black teacher by 3rd grade. To achieve these goals, we must work together to transform the systems that prepare, identify and retain our Black and Indigenous and Educators of Color.
Diverse Educator Pathways represent our various programs that support BIPOC Educator retention and leadership:
- Grow Your Own Programs are district-specific partnerships with institutions of higher education that provide opportunities for high school students, community members and paraeducators to pursue careers in education.
- The Pathways Navigator provides one-on-one assistance to individuals seeking to explore opportunities to become an educator.
- The Educators of Color Leadership Community is a network of current BIPOC educators who provide one another with community support, professional learning, and mentoring based on their own unique needs.
- Coaching and Leading for Racial Equity provides principals and supervisor who support BIPOC educators with the opportunity to grow in their anti-racist leadership skills to create climates and systems that support and retain Educators of Color.
Regional GYO Collective: Provide backbone support for GYO initiatives throughout the region including:
- Case management/data collection on future educators
- Pathways to certification/career fair
- Point of contact/advising for future educators
- Cohorts for future educators working on certification
Working with OSPI to evaluate Mentor Academies for cultural responsiveness and make recommendations.
Develop curriculum and training for mentors to work with educators of color.
- Educators of Color Leadership Community: 3 year program of support to sustain EOC in their careers
- PLC for administrators supporting educators of color focused on Leading with Racial Equity and inclusive school environments
Future: ECLC participants and other educators of color in leadership spaces:
- OSPI Fellows
- BEST Mentors
- Instructional leaders and district admin
Supporting districts in establishment of in-district educator of color recruitment and retention systems